Sunday, September 15, 2013

Some useful stuff to remember

Dear Mia,
When you turned 16, I started writing down some words of wisdom in a book I planned on giving you when you graduated from High School.  You've since graduated, and I realized that I'd only written a few pages.


Maybe one day I'll finish it, but in the meantime, here are some of the ideas I wrote down that I think might come in handy.


  • If you look for the joy in life, you will often find it.
  • Balancing your checkbook often will help you avoid money trouble.
  • Be kind, kinder than others around you.
  • If you're chopping an onion, light a candle on the counter to keep from crying.
  • Moderation is key.
  • Always study with people smarter than you.
  • Don't smoke pot in the practice rooms in the music building.
  • For garlic cloves, if you lay your knife flat on top of the clove and give it a good smack, the peel comes right off.
  • To gain the trust of children or animals, speak quietly, don't move too quickly or loudly, get on their level, and find our their interests.
  • Lower quality (read: cheap) liquors will give you a hangover much fiercer than more expensive drinks.
  • Recycle.
  • Sunday afternoon naps on the couch during football season can't be beat.  
  • It's okay to cheer and applaud, but don't ever boo.
  • Read.


No comments:

Post a Comment